summer journal: chalk paint
August 1st, 2012
I never seem to remember to buy sidewalk chalk, but we always have the ingredients on hand for chalk paint. Making chalk paint is super easy; drawing with chalk paint takes a bit of practice.
Our first attempt turned out mostly colorful blobs, but the second time was a success. I was doodling quilt squares [sewing nerd!] and my kids wanted to learn how to make them too. They told me their log cabins had roofs, obviously.
- muffin tin
- corn starch
- food coloring (the cheapy kind, not the gel kind)
- Put one tablespoon of corn starch in each muffin tin cup.
- Mix in a tablespoon of water (or a smidge more) into each cup.
- Put one drop of food coloring in each cup.
- Mix well.
- Grab a paint brush and go outside!
Be warned, fingers and toes will get painted.
But other cool stuff will be painted too!