me hearty eye patch tutorial
I was going to make super hero heart masks for all the kids in my daughter's class (like this fantastic one), but they were fussy and each one was taking way too long. My daughter and I came up with the eye patch idea together. An hour later I had whipped up 17 of them. Super fast, super easy, good for girls and boys (and grown ups too), and not full of sugar. Eye patches arrrrgh the best!
- felt, 2 3in squares per patch
- 1/8in wide elastic, 16-18in piece per patch
- straight edge
1. Cut two 3in squares of felt for each eye patch you are making. Then cut a heart from one out of each two squares: if you are making 5 eye patches, you started with 10 squares and now will have 5 hearts and 5 squares.
2. Take a heart and place a straight edge (I used an envelope) across the middle. Then tilt the edge 1/4 inch up on one side and 1/4 inch down on the other. Make a tiny mark on each edge. This is where the elastic will be attached to the patch. Really you only need to mark 2 or 3hearts. After that you can just eyeball it (ha!). No really.
3. Place the marked heart on top of a felt square. Cut a piece of elastic so it's 16-18 inches, smaller for smaller people bigger for bigger people. Sew 1/8 inch from the edge all around the heart, inserting the elastic where indicated.
4. Trim away excess felt, holding the elastic as you cut (so it doesn't get cut, silly).
5. That's it! No go make 20 more because Valentine's day is tomorrow! Here are a few awful pirate puns you can use:
Will you be my matey?
You arrrrgh my Valentine!
I want to capture you, Valentine!
Yarrrr the best!
I treasure you!
I'd walk the plank for you!
Ahoy, me hearrrrty